"My friends and
our horses had the best day!"
Members of the Toronto & North York Hunt are riders of varying skill levels and ages who enjoy the pleasure of following a pack of hounds on horseback, across beautiful countryside near Creemore.
We welcome guests to try the sport and always have a group for those who prefer not to jump. Western tack and smart Western attire welcome!
To increase the awareness and encourage participation in riding to hounds as a traditional rural sport and lifestyle to riders of various disciplines and ages.
May 15, 1843 – The Toronto Hunt was founded, making it the second oldest continuously run hunt in North America.
1860 – The hounds move to Hamilton for 5 years.
1893 – A plan was formed towards a more cohesive club atmosphere with kennels, stables and clubhouse on one property. As a result, the
"Country and Hunt Club of Toronto" purchased land on picturesque Scarborough Heights, south of Kingston Road on the bluffs, and
construction got under way. The property is currently occupied by The Toronto Hunt (golf club).
1910 – For twelve years, the Toronto Hunt Club hosted the Canadian Horse Show at the Armories or St Lawrence Market, until the Royal
Horse Show took over in 1922.
1909 – Rapid city growth forced a move of the hunting territory north to Green Bush Lodge, an old hotel in Thornhill. At that time
membership was around the 300 mark. Annual fees were $40 for gentlemen, $20 for ladies and $10 for non-residents.
1918/ – The onset of WWI caused the banning of all organized race meetings; so as a result, the King's Plate was run under the auspices of
1919 the Toronto Hunt Club "Horse Show" at Old Woodbine (south end of Woodbine Avenue in Toronto.)
1920's – The Master, George Beardmore, bought property at Yonge and Eglinton in the City of Toronto, and in 1929 the offshoot Eglinton
Hunt Club was formed.
1929 – Hounds were forced to move to Beverly Farm (now the Beacon Hall Golf Club) in Aurora by the end of the 20’s due to more city
1932 – Financial pressure during the Depression years led to the remaining "active" Hunt members transferring to Beverly and incorporating
under the name Toronto and North York Hunt Club in 1932. This venture was generously financed by Lady Eaton, who lived at nearby
1986 – The Hunt relocated to a splendid farm in the rolling hills near Newmarket and soon after acquired additional hunting territory
2000 – The huntsman informed the Board that it was becoming unsafe to exercise hounds off the property in Newmarket, because of the busy
roads and growth of the city towards the kennels.
2001 – The hounds were moved to new kennels in Creemore. A few years later the farm in Newmarket was sold and a new clubhouse was built in Creemore, to go with the kennels, stable, and staff housing that had also been built in 2001.
2013 – TNYH proudly celebrated its 175th anniversary.